Dalian Medical University (DMU)- was founded in 1947, originally known as Guandong Medical College. In 1949, it joined with Dalian University and the name was changed into the Medical College of Dalian University. In 1950, the organizational system of Dalian University was cancelled and since then Dalian Medial College had become an independent college. In 1969, the college moved to Zunyi, a city of Guizhou Province, to establish the Zunyi Medical College. And in 1978, the college moved back to its original location in Dalian, still with the name of Dalian Medical College. In 1994, approved by the State Education Commission (SEC), DMU adopted its present name. Nowadays, the university has fledged into a multi-disciplinary medical university which also offers programs in other fields like arts, science, management, and law.
Both of the two direct affiliated hospitals have been authorized to be the first-rank hospital. As the biggest comprehensive teaching hospital and emergency center in the south of Liaoning Province, the First Affiliated Hospital has won the honor of “National Top 100”. With the development of medical services, in 2003, the Second Affiliated Hospital successfully annexed China Petrochemical Industry Hospital Dalian Branch. Now, these two affiliated hospitals have gone into the leadership in China in the fields of multi-slice spiral CT (MSCT) coronary angiography, catheter ablation treatment for atrial fibrillation, integrated traditional Chinese and western medicine in acute abdominal diseases, etc. Moreover, interventional thrombolysis treatment for cerebrovascular diseases and the transplant operation have also achieved domestic advanced level. The new campus of DMU is located in the middle of the south of Lvshun Binhai Road. With 45 independent buildings, the South Campus is the main area for teaching, living and sports. The North Campus is the second programming project.